Monday, June 9, 2014

Liebster Award

I have been nominated for a Liebster Award, that prestigious chain letter of the Blogosphere, by Ian, who had some very kind words to say on his blog.

What is a Liebster? It's a way to pass on details about yourself, and your blog, and also a way to get the word out about what may be under-appreciated blogs that you enjoy. After all, we're all in this to get our words read and pictures looked at by other hobbyists out there. Yes there is an element of a chain-letter to it, but it is a friendly well meaning one. So with that in mind, here are the rules, and my responses to the questions asked by Ian.

The Rules:
Copy and paste the award on your blog linking to the blogger who has given it to you. Pass the award on to your top 5 blogs with less than 200 followers, leaving a comment on one of their posts to notify them that they have won he award and listing them on your own blog. There is no obligation to pass this on to someone else but it's nice if you take the time to do so.

Why Did I start blogging?
I had a lack of time to do actual gaming, and more time to paint. I started the blog for a few reasons, but mostly to have an outlet for the minis I had painted, as they weren't seeing the table.

If I could change one thing about wargameing what would it be? 
That I have so little time to play. 

What is Best in Life?
There's something about the lamentations of my enemies' women here isn't there? I never really was too much into Conan, nor having enemies. I guess I'd rather just chill out with my family (and get some gaming in once the kids are asleep of course!).
Fame or Fortune?
Fortune. Don't see much use on fame. Can't buy more minis with fame!

What miniatures am I most proud of painting? 
I'm quite proud of the tartan trews on these guys. In the distant past, I was also very happy with this one but I think my technique has improved somewhat since then. Otherwise, the one I've just finished is usually the one I'm most proud of!

How do I deal with burn out? 
I don't have any particular tricks to this. I just take time off, hence the inordinate amount of time it takes me to finish any one project. The fact that I have a million and one minis to paint from a tonne of different ranges and games also means I can usually find something to do when I have the time to paint.

Why is a Raven like a writing desk?
Star Wars or Star Trek? 
Star Wars. I  was never really into Star Trek. I mean I watched Next Generation when it was on, but not religiously. I had Star Wars toys as a kid, and always coveted a Millenium Falcon, but that being said, I've kind of grown out of Star Wars too. Maybe it was the prequels, but whatever the reason, I cannot get up too much excitement over the next trilogy. Lord of the Rings however, there's a trilogy I would go back to for more!

If you could buy from one manufacturer who would it be? 
That is a difficult one. If it were down to local games played, then it would have to be Privateer Press. If I only ever bought their minis, then I know I would be able to field them all in a game. If it is down to the aesthetics of the minis, then I would be really hard pressed to choose.

Favourite Take-away?
Fish and Chips. If only because I crave a good chipper. They have some of sorts here in Montreal, but they are not to be compared to a good British chippy.

Anyway, that's enough from me. I shall change how I am dealing with this slightly, in that, most of the wonderful blogs I read have already been nominated (it's the chain nature of the award I suppose), so I'm going to refrain from passing this one on as such, but I would like to take this time to showcase two blogs written by guys in my immediate gaming meta.

Wargaming Ninja Turtles.  Despite the copyright issues on the name, a great blog for reiews and battle reports. These guys have been ticking along for a while, but deserve new readership, so go check them out.

40K with Blackjack and Hookers. A relatively new blog, with far too few followers for the talent in show. Go look at the conversions on this site. They are less conversions and more just outright sculpting. Well worth a look.

2 comments: